BOY GEORGE IS HAROLD ZIDLER THROUGH MAY 12, 2024!
MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL SELLS OUT PERTH SEASON
The curtain will come down at Crown Theatre Perth on Friday 21st April on a completely 100% sold out Perth season for the ten-time Tony Award® winning musical produced by Carmen Pavlovic and Gerry Ryan OAM for Australian theatrical company, Global Creatures.
The Australian premiere season commenced in Melbourne in November 2021, and since lifting its curtain around Australia has welcomed nearly one million Australian theatregoers with sold out seasons in Melbourne, Sydney and Perth. The Brisbane season opens in May 2023 and will be a sell-out season as well.Producer Carmen Pavlovic said, “Despite a delayed opening because of the pandemic in 2021, we still achieved a sold-out season in Melbourne. Sydney’s season was also incredibly successful, and so special because it was the city where Baz Luhrmann and Catherine Martin filmed MOULIN ROUGE! in 2001, and it was where our partnership to bring their film to the stage began, in 2009. Perth has continued this outstanding welcome, and Brisbane will be next. We owe our success to the audiences across the country who welcomed us with their arms wide and hearts open. Our run in Australia hasn’t been without its Covid related challenges. However, our Australian cast, crew, theatre partners and production suppliers, have all demonstrated their incredible energy, dedication and hard work as we navigated a substantially smaller workforce because of the pandemic. This makes the success of the Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and Brisbane seasons so rewarding given the challenges that not only our production, but other shows have experienced, over the last few years.”
Almost 120 direct jobs were created to bring the show to life in Australia, including the 36 performers who take to the stage eight times a week, the equally talented and hardworking creatives, local and touring backstage crew who make the show run smoothly, and the countless suppliers and agencies that are employed by the production. Most of the set was built in Australia, including 20 people who took over two months to build the giant red windmill, to the 30 truck drivers tasked with moving the show from state to state as it travels around Australia; a journey that shifts 793 individual costume pieces plus wigs, set, props and musical instruments each time. The costumes were all hand-made in Sydney by a team of over 50 people, including Satine’s quintessential sparkling gown which is decorated with over 3,500 hand-placed Preciosa crystals.
Moulin Rouge! The Musical partnered with MAC nationally and local businesses in every state, including The Westin Melbourne; The Kimpton Margot Sydney, Nel Restaurant, Black Star Pastry and Blow Bar Co. in Sydney; Crown Perth in WA; and Hotel Indigo Brisbane City Centre in QLD, to encourage theatregoers to extend their experience, benefitting other city businesses and broadening the direct and indirect economic impact of the show for each state.
In an industry first, Global Creatures created a free event entitled ‘GET TECHNICAL! Behind the Curtain of Moulin Rouge! The Musical’, attracting over 700 high school and tertiary students in Sydney and 1300 attendees in Perth, with the hope of combatting current industry-wide staff shortages and inspiring a new generation to pursue a career in live entertainment as production creatives, crew and technicians.
The return Melbourne season in August 2023 marks a full-circle moment for the production, which premiered to stellar reviews at the Regent Theatre in 2021. Melbourne was the first international city to host the 10-time Tony Award winning show after its dazzling Broadway debut, with the season also coinciding with the 20th anniversary year of Baz Luhrmann’s revolutionary film.
- The Perth season of Moulin Rouge! The Musical is currently sold out! Here are some useful ticketing tips to help you score a ticket: https://moulinrougemusical.com/australia/tickets-perth/
- Limited tickets are on sale now exclusively through QPAC for a strictly limited season.
- For best available tickets try a Wednesday 1.00pm or Tuesday to Thursday 7.00pm performance in June or July.
- All Moulin Rouge! The Musical tickets purchased through QPAC are covered by the production’s flexible Exchange Policy.
- Purchase tickets to the Return Melbourne season via Ticketek. There is no authorised reseller.
- Tickets start from $69 + handling fee. For those wishing to be surrounded by the action, a small number of Can Can! table seats are available at every performance.
- For best available tickets try a Wednesday 1:00pm or Tuesday to Thursday 7.00pm performance.
- All Moulin Rouge! The Musical tickets purchased through Ticketek are covered by the production’s flexible Exchange Policy.